Pennsylvania Motorcycle Accidents Claim
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Messa & Associates outline some of the statistics of motorcycle accident claims, including crash death rates, likelihood of injuries, common case verdicts and possible risks. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) statistics for 2005 (www.nhtsa.gov), there were approximately 86,000+ injuries and more than 4,500 fatalities in motorcycle accidents. The NHTSA also reports that per mile traveled motorcyclists were eight times more likely to be injured and 37 times more likely to die than a passenger car occupant in a motor vehicle accident.
For every 100 million miles traveled, motorcycle accidents showed a 42 percent occupant fatality rate, an 87 percent increase from 1995. NHTSA estimates that helmets are 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle accident fatalities, i.e., 37 of every 100 deaths could have been prevented had the motorcyclist been wearing a helmet. It is clear that operating a motorcycle is a contributing factor in likelihood of serious personal injury.
Motorcycle Rider Deaths
The crash death rates (statistics for fatal motorcycle crashes in 2005–2006):
- 79% of these motorcycles were impacted in the front
- 51% involved collisions with another motor vehicle
- 37% involved speeding by the motorcyclist
- 27% of all fatally injured motorcycle operators had BAC levels of .08 or higher and an additional 7% had BAC levels between .01 and .07
- 25% involved collisions with fixed objects
- 25% of motorcyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents were operating their vehicles without a valid license
- 5% were struck in the rear
These are crash death rate statistics and do not illuminate the injuries and serious harm that can ensue in motorcycle crashes. Motorcycle accident claims in Pennsylvania are on the rise year after year. The likelihood of injuries is on the rise with the increased age and ridership. To ensure you get the best outcome in your motorcycle accident injury claim you need the experienced litigation representation of Messa & Associates, Pennsylvania personal injury lawyers. Contact us by calling toll free 866.403.4LAW (4529), or fill out the contact web form.