Although cancer is one of the most studied and diagnosed diseases in the world, it is often misdiagnosed. The failure or misdiagnosis of cancer often occurs because of physician error or failure to listen and carefully consider the descriptions of a patient’s circumstances and complaints and then take the necessary steps to ascertain the cause of those complaints. Although this can be as simple as an x-ray or biopsy, doctors do not always take the time to investigate the cause of a patient’s complaints and make a proper diagnosis.
Several different circumstances can qualify as misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose cancer, amounting to medical malpractice. It is important that negligent healthcare providers be held accountable for cancer misdiagnosis. Circumstances that qualify as failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis of cancer include:
- A cancerous lesion/tumor/mass that is diagnosed benign
- Inadequate testing when patient’s risk factors and/or symptoms indicate a higher potential for cancer
- Cancerous tissue that is not properly biopsied leading to inaccurate diagnosis
- Improperly read or interpreted test results
- Inadequate physician follow-up when suspicion of cancer is medically reasonable
- Inadequate response to a patient’s concerns and physical descriptions
- Failure to order adequate testing or refer to a specialist to confirm potential cancer diagnosis
- Identification of benign tissue as cancerous
The Philadelphia medical malpractice lawyers of Messa & Associates know that an experience with cancer is trying enough without the added stress of misdiagnosis and several extra months or longer going by before proper treatment can get underway. The delay caused by misdiagnosis is often the difference between recovery and the unstoppable escalation of the disease. Contacting an experienced Philadelphia medical malpractice attorney could be the best way to get past a bad start and get a sense of control back to your life. Call Messa & Associates for the compassion, experience, and knowledge that will give you the fullest confidence in making decisions about the future of your case.
Messa & Associates knows that a diagnosis of cancer can lead to some of the most difficult times in the lives of the person diagnosed with cancer and their families. Whether following misdiagnosis or not, often this is not the fault of the one who is suffering the most. Compensation could be in order and a Philadelphia medical malpractice lawyer with the compassion and knowledge to speak plainly and personally about your choices and the help that may be justified in your case is an essential asset. Call our toll-free number to set up a free consultation regarding all the circumstances of your case at your convenience. Messa & Associates can make the big decisions about your future easier for you to make. Call today.