Philadelphia personal injury attorneys report a jury verdict totaling $109 million, including interest, for a teenage girl who suffered life-threatening injuries after she took Motrin to reduce a fever in 2003. Samantha Reckis was seven years old when her parents gave her the Motrin. She lost most of her skin as a result of a rare side effect known as toxic epidermal necrolysis and was blinded. Samantha also suffered brain damage that affected her short-term memory loss and required surgeons to drill through her skull to relieve some pressure. In addition, her respiratory system was damaged and she only has 20 percent lung capacity.
Attorneys for her family argued that Johnson & Johnson failed to warn consumers that taking Motrin could cause life-threatening reactions. Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiary, McNeil PPC Inc., were ordered to pay 16-year-old Reckis $50 million in compensatory damages and $6.5 million to each of her parents.
Many pharmaceutical companies have failed to warn consumers of the severe risks reactions associated with the use of their products. McNeil and Johnson & Johnson have been named in many lawsuits for failing to warn consumers of potential skins diseases and other serious conditions that can be caused with the use of Motrin. Both companies have also been named in claims for failing to alert consumers that if they experienced signs that indicated any adverse reactions to the drug, they should discontinue using it and seek immediate medical attention.
Currently, Messa & Associates is representing the family of a woman who was given Children’s Motrin for a headache, stomach pains and fever when she was nine years old. She developed a rash on her cheeks but continued to take the Children’s Motrin for four days after the rash first appeared because of the lack of any warning labels on the bottle. Upon being hospitalized, she was diagnosed with Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and Vanishing Bile Duct syndrome (VBDS). She suffered other severe injuries and was required to undergo a liver transplant as a result of liver failure. In addition, her reproductive organs were scarred as a result of the SJS causing a loss of fertility and increasing her risk for cervical cancer.
Motrin, a brand name for ibuprofen, is used to reduce fever and mild pain. In 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration ordered that labels be added to the bottles warning consumers about skin reddening, rashes and blisters as a result of using ibuprofen.
The Philadelphia personal injury attorneys at Messa & Associates are experienced at handling cases involving pharmaceutical and drug product injuries. Our extremely skilled team of personal injury lawyers and medical experts is dedicated to ensuring you receive proper compensation for your personal injuries. If you have suffered an injury as a result of any pharmaceutical drug, a pharmaceutical company’s failure to warn of risks associated with their product, or any other type of personal injury, contact the personal injury lawyers of Messa & Associates for a free consultation. Call toll free at 1-877-MessaLaw, or submit a free online inquiry.
Joseph L. Messa, Jr. is the founding partner of Messa & Associates, P.C. He is an AV-rated attorney (highest rating available), listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. Read More