12/29/11 – Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Navien Water Heaters Recalled

By admin

Dec 29

Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Navien Water Heaters Recalled

December 29, 2011 – About 13,000 Navien Instantaneous or Tankless Water Heaters have been recalled, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.  An unstable connection can cause the water heater’s vent collar to separate or detach if pressure is applied.  A detached vent collar poses a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning to the consumer.

The water heaters were sold to in-home installers nationwide from February 2008 through March 2009 for between $1,500 and $2,100.  Consumers should immediately stop using and check the model and manufacture year information on their Navien water heater.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems.  Red blood cells pick up the gas quicker than they pick up oxygen, and if there is a lot of it in the air, the body may replace oxygen in blood with carbon monoxide.  This blocks oxygen from getting into the body, which can damage tissues and result in death.

The Centers for Disease Control lists headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and altered mental status as common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.  They also recommend you do or don’t do the following:

Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

Do install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.  If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.

Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.

Don’t use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.

Don’t run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.

Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.

Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.

Don’t use portable flameless chemical heaters (catalytic) indoors.  Although these heaters don’t have a flame, they burn gas and can cause carbon monoxide to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.

The Philadelphia toxic substance attorneys of Messa & Associates represent individuals and their families in complex personal injury matters, including catastrophic injury, product liability, fires and explosions as well as carbon monoxide affixation cases resulting in serious injury or death.  Our attorneys help clients throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and around the country.  If you or a loved one has suffered serious injury as a result of a recalled Navien water heater, please contact us at 1-877-MessaLaw.

About the Author