The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released some shocking information this month: more motorists are killed in collisions caused by faulty tires than by those caused by distracted driving involving cell phones! Who would have thought that the incredible danger posed by texting and driving would be exceeded by the danger of defective tires?
How Can You Protect Yourself Against Defective Tire Injuries?
According to NHTSA, over 700 people die annually as the result of motor vehicle collisions caused by tire failure. For the last six years for which there is available data, cell-phone related car deaths have not exceeded 500 in any year. In response to this, NHTSA released some useful tips for drivers to keep in mind when it comes to car tires.
- Regular inspections make your tires last longer, save you money, and protect you on the road. Have your car inspected annually to ensure the safety of your vehicle, and specifically, your tires.
- Have your tires checked annually for rubber breakdown. This breakdown is accelerated by rubber and heat.
- Only 19% of consumers properly check and inflate their tires, even though keeping your tires properly inflated can save you up to $0.11 in gas, per gallon. Be sure to check your tires’ air pressure regularly.
- In addition, remember to check your tires for other signs of wear and tear like cuts, abrasions, and even nails, which can get stuck in the treads of your tires and cause slow leaks.
- Most vehicles require a tire rotation every 5,000-8,000 miles
Philadelphia Personal Injury Attorneys – Car Crash Lawyers
While there isn’t much you can do when you look over and see the driver next to you with their face buried in a cell-phone, there is plenty you can do to keep your own car and family safe in your vehicle while on the road. Proper tire maintenance and upkeep is absolutely critical to maintaining safety on the road.
The Philadelphia personal injury lawyers at Messa & Associates are experienced at handling cases involving defective products and motor vehicle accidents. Our extremely skilled team of personal injury lawyers and medical experts is dedicated to ensuring you receive proper compensation for your personal injuries. If you have been injured in a car crash casued by a defective tire, a texting driver, by a defective product, or have endured any other type of personal injury, contact the personal injury lawyers of Messa & Associates for a free consultation. Call toll free at 1-877-MessaLaw, or submit a free online inquiry.